Makarska Riviera is a micro-region in Splitsko-Dalmatinska county and its 53 km wide. Center of Makarska Riviera is a town Makarska, and other municipalities are Brela, Baška Voda, Tučepi, Podgora and Gradac.
Because of its location, Makarska Riviera is very attractive to many tourist that come every year. Beautiful beaches and crystal clear water, mountain Biokovo, green pine trees and much more are few of the reasons why people are returning to this site from year to year.
Typical mediterranean climate will make you enjoy Makarska Riviera even more. Sea temperature is over 25 °C during the summer, and annual average is over 20 °C so you can be in the water almost whole year. Population of Makarska Riviera is around 27,000 people, so it is not crowded at all.
Except tourism, people in this part of Dalmatia produce olive oil, go fishing or do agriculture which is common for mediterreanean part of the world.
If you decide to visit Makarska Riviera, these are few tips what you definitly need to see:
• Kačić square, named by Father Andrija Kačić Miošić, Croatian folk poet and a Franciscan
• Kotišina botanical garden; small area, but over 300 plant species typical for Biokovo mountain
• World War II monument and the astronomical observatory; located in Makarska, must see thing when you are visiting Makarska.
• The Brela Rock on Punta Rata beach; natural phenomena situated in Brela, close to one of the best beaches in Europe.
• The Shellfish Museum in Baška Voda, archeological museum that contains items more then 4000 years old
• Klapa choirs (a cappela singers), old tradition in Dalmatia when local singers gather themselves and perform traditional Dalmatian songs
• Mrkušić family summerhouse; located in Podgora, one of the prettiest examples of baroque buildings in Dalmatia
• The legend of King Arthur; every year in August, place called Igrane is a host of a show the King Arthur Night based on a legend that King Arthur was born in Igrane
• 2500 years old Licinian’s epigram; placed in Pokrivenica village, epigram celebrates cool water source
These are just few of locations pointed out when you are visiting Makarska Riviera. As you can see, everybody can find something interesting for themselves. Dalmatia is not only sun and water, the cultural heritage of Makarska Riviera and Dalmatia is just breathtaking.
For more informations, check out our website and feel free to ask us if you have any questions.
See you this year!